Thursday, May 2, 2013

Psychokinetic Warrior!

For half of my life I've been aware of the details of a an ability called Psychokinetics.

Psychokinesis (from the Greek ψυχή, "psyche", meaning mind, soul, heart, or breath; and κίνησις, "kinesis", meaning motion, movement; literally "mind-movement"),[1][2] also referred to as telekinesis[3](Greek τῆλε + κίνησις, literally "distant-movement") with respect to strictly describing movement of matter, sometimes abbreviated PK and TK respectively, is a term coined by publisher Henry Holt[4] to refer to the direct influence of mind on a physical system that cannot be entirely accounted for by the mediation of any known physical energy (i.e. moving objects with the mind).[5] Examples of psychokinesis could include distorting or moving an object,[6] and influencing the output of a random number generator.
I was heavily influenced at a young age by the story AKIRA by Katsuhiro Otomo. The plot fascinated me enough to consider how real it really could have been. After all, there was an excessive amount of references to complicated words in the comics that made me look up definitions. I quickly found that there was a science behind the story and thus it made me appreciate the plot even more.

"This is just for fun? Is there something to this?"

So why am I bringing this up?
Well many of us, who are in the martial arts, believe in energies that Science has not tried or has not successfully explained. One of which would be the Chakras and their significance. I have always found it troubling that when I talk to "unbelievers" of Ki energy that they are very quick to dismiss it as Athleticism. I don't even know how to respond to something like that.
So I got to thinking, especially since I've had moments in my training where I do things I can't repeat that is not as simple as forgetting a movement. I've always needed a deeper explanation to why I can cut into something deep or why I can break a piece of wood with such knife-like precision with my hand... And yet, not say it was a matter of instinct.

I am not claiming I'm a psychic of any kind, let alone a powerhouse to reckon with. I am trying to suggest that all people are capable of specific abilities, just as the concept of chakra. Furthermore, I believe that psychokinesis combined with martial arts training is practical.

"Get to the point! How do we do it?!"

The hardest thing to do is explain there is no absolute process to combine psychic abilities with martial arts training. It is a hit-or-miss type of concept that requires the understanding of personal limits. Moreover, the understanding of any kind of psychic training (There are tests and training methods established by reputable sources, if anyone is skeptical of such) requires as much time as any martial arts training. 
So who wants to triple up?
I'm not joking. You will have to double up just to learn an individual skill and then it becomes triple to combine the two. It is just like learning to handle a sword while writing. You can't do both at the same time with the same skill without learning them individually, then you'll have to learn to combine the two effectively. It may seem like all you have to do is write with a sword, but that is with the precept that you already know how to write without one. Furthermore, I have no idea how one learns to write using a sword while learning the art of the sword in combat, as it should (that doesn't mean it isn't possible).

"Great.. A skill that can't be mastered under twenty years.."

I can't say the required time to learn or to hone a psychic ability. I have a strong belief that it is like learning any skill, some get it faster than others and some don't get it at all. The beauty of psychic skills is that there are many facets in itself. Perhaps you can strengthen your premonition of events, perhaps you strengthen your kinetic influence, perhaps you learn telepathy in the process. The possibilities are bound by imagination and motivation. Sometimes it takes someone's crazy talk about their own experiences to spark recognition of personal experience of being more than just coincidence. 
For myself, I have found a strong kinetic influence through emotion; usually linked to memories or ideas that spark specific emotions. This influence has been best realized through Kenjutsu, as opposed to any other weapon handling or hand-to-hand training. I have also noticed slight differences in spatial awareness of energies. 
I am sure most would argue that this is entirely the process of Ki energy and Chakra training. I can't say I disagree, but I can say it makes no sense to ignore the powers of the mind with bias to ancient principles.

The saying, "Forget what you know" is a very important saying in this case. You must start with a clean slate. When the slate is clean, begin with contemplating past events that have eluded explanation. From there, analyze and research. If something can be explained, test. If there are results, research more and test more. 
I fail to see how any martial arts is not a science. 
We follow the same principles as a researcher does, the only difference is that we break our lab in the process (oops.. I forgot, many researchers are known to do this in the pursuit of Science).